Monday, June 18, 2007

killer of sheep

Charles Burnett: Not a douche.
I was finally able to see Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep a little over a week ago, and it has taken me this long to really understand how I feel about it. I had to drive about 400 miles to see it, so the expectations were quite high. Thankfully, though, it affected me in such a way that I don't think I'll ever be the same.

The humanity with which he presents his subjects is what really got to me. From the children to the gangsters to Stan (the only character apparently deserving of a name), I felt like I was looking through a window into their actual lives.

But right now I'm starving and I really wanted to just get a feel for this blogger thing, so remember - good things come to those who wait.


Oh yeah, Charles Burnett happened to be there for a Q and A session after the film. I was in dork heaven for a little while. Apparently there's no A/C in dork heaven. However, Burnett is the real deal and is 100 times cooler than any highly regarded (overblown) black filmmaker out there. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Spike Lee. Seriously.

No comments: